It is becoming increasingly important to protect yourself online, especially as our lives become ever more digital. This article will provide some tips and tricks to help you and your family stay safe online.
Online apps and software are increasingly intertwining our lives, making our lives easier in many ways while, unfortunately, exposing us to cyber risks.
The old wise saying about not talking to strangers doesn't apply to how we interact online. In this digital age, it is crucial to develop and maintain the best internet security practices and privacy practices.
These are some essential tips to employ now to protect yourself and your family when you're online.
- Maintain software and operating system updates.
- Create strong, unique passwords. Use a different password for each online account. If you are hacked, it will allow you to access all of your accounts.
- Online shopping is safe if you have an SSL certificate (Secure Sockets Layer).
- When possible, use two-factor authentication.
- To protect your online identity, don’t share personal information (like social security numbers and birthdates online.
- Check your banking, investment, and other statements to make sure there isn’t fraudulent activity.
- Don’t click on links in texts or emails unless you know and trust the sender.
- Inform family members, especially children and older adults, about online risks and how to stay protected.
- Regularly clean your computer to remove any digital trails left behind.
- Make sure you are running a trusted antivirus program.
Protect your device and yourself from harmful sites
You can avoid dangerous websites by making sure that the site is safe and trusted. You can easily check it by looking for the special lock symbol in the URL address bar.
You should ensure that any ecommerce website you’re considering purchasing from has an SSL certificate — the URL should begin with https://. If it doesn’t, do not trust it with your credit or other banking details.
To verify transactions, make sure you use two-factor authentication when using financial apps like everyday banking apps. You should also activate alerts within the app to instantly be notified if fraudulent transactions are made.
Parental Control Online
It is vital to ensure that your family is protected from online threats. The best way to do this is by educating them about what cyber threats are, how to identify them, and what to do to protect themselves.
It is also a good idea to create content restrictions and parental controls for children who use the internet.
It is important to communicate to your family members, no matter what their age, the importance of internet safety. You should also make sure you use safety measures on different devices because security threats can vary between mobile phones and desktops.
Best parental control app
There are many high-quality parental control apps available, depending on what device you're using.
Here are some basic features you should look for:
- It can block content
- It can block sites
- It can limit screen time
- It can block apps on mobile phones and other devices
- It can let you find your child’s phone (locater service)
- It can restrict browser searches
- It can prevent online buying
Parental controls for iPhone
Parents will be happy to know that Android and iPhones come with a wide range of parental controls built into them. The controls can be set up from your device according to your preference.
Using all the tips in this article should help you get the online protection you need.