Although they were often working in different time slots, Don Lemmon and T.J. Holmes were the dynamic duo of CNN for a number of years. Relatively young, hip, anchors on THE major news television network, time slots with lots of “prime” time exposure, articulate, intelligent and men of color. Bernard Shaw set the trend in the 80's – early 90's on CNN, but Lemmon and Holmes have been carrying the torch since the mid-2000's.
At the end of 2011, Holmes departed CNN for a multi-million $ / multi-platform talent deal for the new BET Networks. Prior to today, Holmes hosted a series of specials and segments, focused on news and awareness.
Today, BET Networks announced the debut of “DON'T SLEEP!,” hosted by T. J. Holmes. The show's debut is scheduled for Monday, October 1 from 11:00-11:30 p.m. ET/PT. As can be expected, the level of programming is “smart, biting social commentary on significant issues important to African-Americans.”
Guaranteed to shake up late night, “DON'T SLEEP!,” presents and tackles current headlines that affect our community while also creating awareness about vital stories mainstream media tends to disregard. Airing Monday through Thursday, “DON'T SLEEP!” is also infused with a team of correspondents injecting perspective, humor and commentary about a wide range of topics. The witty late night series is keenly focused on keeping Black America engaged, awake and in the know.
A few of T.J. Holmes historical assignments on CNN you may recall include:
- Saddam Hussein’s execution in 2006
- Terrorist attacks at the Glasgow Airport in 2007
- The terrorist attacks in Mumbai, India in 2008
- The first Presidential Debate at the University of Mississippi between Sens. John McCain and Barack Obama
- The first papal visit to the United States of Pope Benedict XIV in 2008
- From New Orleans during the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in 2010
- The devastating tornadoes in Joplin, MO in May 2011
- Blacksburg, VA immediately after the shootings on the campus of Virginia Tech
- Live from Ground Zero for the 10th anniversary of the September 11th attacks
For more information on “DON'T SLEEP!” go to BET.com/DontSleep. Join the conversation on social media by logging on to BET's multiple social media platforms:
Twitter: @BETDontSleep and @BET, Hashtag: #BETDontSleep