With an emphasis on user experience, data visualization and video, the USGA today launched the new usopen.com, the official website of the 117th U.S. Open Championship, which will be contested June 15-18 at Erin Hills in Erin, Wis.
The site incorporates articles, videos, photo galleries, infographics, live updates and social media into a scrollable timeline consistent with modern content consumption habits and industry trends. Visual shot-by-shot data and increased statistical integration highlight the enhancements to the usopen.com experience.
With more than half of usopen.com visitors in 2016 viewing the site on mobile devices, the new usopen.com provides these users with a more robust experience through its mobile-responsive design.
Pre-championship website visitors will be treated to exciting features and video content, including:
- Interviews and video excerpts with defending champion Dustin Johnson
- Time-lapse footage of championship preparations at Erin Hills
- Hole-by-hole flyover videos and descriptions
- Revamped history section with vignettes from all 116 U.S. Opens
- Expanded player bio section with complete U.S. Open records
As excitement builds for the championship, the site will feature content focusing on “The Road to Erin Hills,” including:
- Insights and analysis of the venue from those who know it best
- Schedule and results from local qualifying as hopefuls from 114 sites around North America chase their U.S. Open dream
- Full coverage, including live scoring, recaps and photos, from the 12 sectional qualifying sites as hundreds of players battle for spots in the field at Erin Hills
- Details on how players earned their spots in the championship through qualifying or exemptions
During championship week, usopen.com will bring audiences inside the ropes at the U.S. Open with unprecedented access, including:
- Live scoring
- Exclusive live streaming coverage
- Visual shot-by-shot data and hole insights
- Player highlights, including video recaps customized for players' rounds
- Integration with USGA social channels, including live walk-and-talks with players during practice rounds and behind-the-scenes features
Our digital products continue to evolve to meet the needs of golf fans around the world, reflecting the content that interests them delivered where they want it, when they want it and how they want it.” said Navin Singh, USGA head of global content and media distribution. “Featuring a cleaner design that brings content to life through stunning imagery and video, usopen.com will allow visitors to experience the U.S. Open in a powerful way befitting golf's ultimate test.