We love mobile tech here at INFOtainment News and today we’re looking at a couple products from our friends at Ontrion.
First up, an iPhone 5 case – It’s called the iHangy Slip in 5 case.
It’s a silicone sleeve that slips over your phone plus a hard plastic case that goes over the top. The silicone is really easy to slip on to the phone but getting it in to the plastic case was a little more difficult. Not terribly difficult but you have to squeeze pretty hard to get it to the right position. I suppose I could have been doing it wrong but there don’t seem to be a lot of options. Either way, that’s just a one-time thing or at worst it’s something that I won’t have to do very often (take the phone out of the case).
I thought the feel of the phone with this cover was really nice. The phone remained thin (not too bulky) and yet seemed like it would do well in terms of protecting the phone from a drop or bump. No extensive drop tests were performed but I did try from a couple feet above a tile counter top a couple times. No cracks or dings and again it felt flexible but sturdy. The coated plastic has a nice feel to it too. The coating gave a nice grip but it didn’t seem to have any issues slipping in and out of a pocket. At a retail price of 19.99 this case seems to be a reasonable deal. These cases come in several color combinations so I’m sure you’ll find one you like.
Here’s the features list from the site above…
- The Slip in 5 Case from iHangy whole-body protects your iPhone 5™ investment from scratches, cracks and impacts. Its dual fabrication—rubber-coated hard plastic on the exterior and cushioning silicone on the interior—absorbs shock and stress, yet its sleek, slim design doesn’t detract from the iPhone 5’s visual appeal.
- iHangy Dual Slip in 5 Case
- Designed for the Apple iPhone 5
- Offers two durable layers of protection
- Slim fit
- Heavy-duty, shock-absorbent silicone interior skin
- Allows access to all device controls, features and ports
The next product is the OnTrion LifeCHARGE LED POWER BANK- 7000 mAh
This is currently my rechargeable battery of choice. With 7000 mAh of power and a ‘small enough’fom factor I take it whenever I’ll be gone for more than a few hours. It’ll power up my iPhone 4S about 2.5+ times and also charge my iPad or my children’s iPad minis as needed. Obviously if I’m charging several devices the charge on this battery will deplete faster but the total amount of output remains the same.
It has 2 charging ports: a 1A for most phones and 2.1A for many tablets, including iPad. The 4 LEDs on top give a good approximation of the amount of power you have left or how far you are in charging it back up. The device is light enough and small enough to go in a pocket although I would like it to be a little thinner. If it was closer to the shape of an iPhone or iPod touch that would make life a little easier.
According to my scale it weighs 176 g or 6.2 ounces. The measurements are 13/16” H x 3 3/4” L x 2 3/8” W (without any USB plugged in). The device also has a LED ‘flashlight’ built in for those moments when… uh… you need a flashlight. I’ll admit I wondered about the value of this feature but it has already come in handy a couple times. It can’t draw all that much power and really does not take up too much space so.. why not? The only issue I can really find overall is the price – at $49.99, let’s just say a couple searches on amazon and a couple other sites net you batteries with similar power for about the same price and lower. The question is – with they hold up over heavy usage for long periods of time and do they really have accurate power ratings. I can’t answer those here in this review but would definitely keep that in mind.
From their website:
Power Bank & 1 Micro Data cableItems included:
This Power Bank fits all Universal Accessories cell phone models, iPad. Tablets, Cameras,
Blackberry, Casio, HTC, Huawei, Kyocera, Motorola, Nokia, Samsung, Sanyo, Sony Ericsson, ZTE, Apple iPad, iPad 2, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5
About ONTRION LifeCHARGE:
The LifeCHARGE packs incredible power-charging capabilities into its lightweight, slimline design. Armed with this must-have gadget, you’ll never be stranded with a powerless iPhone 5/4/4S, iPad, Tablets, iPod, or smartphone again. In fact, LifeCHARGE replenishes the juice of any digital device that charges via USB cable. LifeCHARGE is so supercharged that it can power up your iPhone/smartphone up to three times before having to be recharged itself. Imagine near-limitless talk time, Web surfing and music listening. That’s the digital freedom and enjoyment LifeCHARGE offers.
- Never run out of power again with your Apple® products (iPhone® 5 and its predecessors, iPod®), iPad®, Tablets or any other must-have smartphone thanks to LifeCHARGE’s multi-device functionality.
- LifeCHARGE’s sleek, streamlined design slips into your pocket or bag for easy portability.
- Enjoy up to triple the battery life you’re accustomed to.
- Premium components, including grade A lithium cell batteries, ensure you enjoy the longest life out of your LifeCHARGE.
- Eye-catching LED indicators inform you what energy level you’re using.
- Ideal for long trips when anywhere, on-the-go charging is essential.
- Built in Emergency Flash Light Built-in bright LED flashlight comes to your rescue in an emergency situation by just pressing twice the power button.
- How easy to use Simply slip your LifeCHARGE in your pocket, purse or bag and go about your day. LifeCHARGE’s lightweight, go-anywhere design affords you the peace of mind of knowing that you’ll never run out of power again in the middle of watching a movie, an important phone call or a favorite song. Don’t let its looks deceive you.