Music lovers were either in Los Angeles at the Nokia Theater, or locked on MTV for tonight's VMA Award Show.
The title of this post “Born This Way” pretty much sums up the dominance of one performer this evening. Lady Gaga walked in the building with a record number 13 nominations and left out the building with darn near all of the Moon Men – especially the big one for Video of the Year for “Bad Romance” and when she won that award she kept a promise to her fans and announced the name of her forthcoming album…”Born This Way.”
Watching tonight's show I, like many others, I'm sure were waiting for some awkward, non-politically correct, and somewhat embarrassing moment to be captured on video. Interestingly enough, even with the normally uncensored Chelsea Handler serving as host, non of those moments really materialized.
True Chelsea made some suggestive comments, and talked a little smack about some of the artists and performers, but it really wasn't much to write about.
The moments in the show that caught my attention were as follows:
- Eminem and Rihanna opening the show. Great chemistry on stage together – I always think, what's going through Rihanna's mind when she sings “Love The Way You Lie” and does she have flashback of Chris Brown?
- Linkin Park has always been a favorite of mine, ever since I used to run security for Clear Channel here in Northern California at big concerts – when I would be responsible at a Linkin Park show I'd lose my mind and spend most of my time in a mosh pit with the other fans. I love how they performed “The Catalyst” under the stars at the Griffith Observatory.
- You can't deny Kanye West. Mr. Eccentric himself with an ego the size of the Nokia Theater. Irregardless of that MTV Reporter (and old-school VJay) Sway, broke the news and showed a quick clip of Kanye's upcoming Movie entitled Runaway. Kanye also performed the title track and then immediately walked off stage – classic Kanye. Check the words to the song Runaway…he may be talking about himself. Love it !
- Shouts out to Nicki Minaj doing her thing with Will.i.am
- Usher is the 2nd coming of Michael Jackson – love how he's honoring Michael with many of his dance moves
- Drake represented well with Mary J. Blige and Swiss Beatz during his 1st VMA performance
- Gotta love anytime you can see Cher – she still fit herself in that black fishnet bodysuit. Shouts out to botox…I'm just sayin'
- And yes – the world has got Bieber Fever
What about you? What was your favorite part of the event? What was your least favorite?