Nowadays if you find yourself on the interweb, you've undoubtedly built up a few important social circles. I would also assume that you've dove into the world of location-based check-ins with those members of your social circles.
Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare, Gowalla, etc. have made experiencing the vastness of the interweb and sharing your findings with others incredibly FUN !
There is, however, one problem with all this, there are so many tools and apps that perform very similar location-based functions and, if you subscribe to a handful of these services you could become a victim of “check-in fatigue” – caused by logging into each system separately to update your status, gain your new badge and climb to the top of the mayor pile.
For that problem, let me introduce you to a solution – Footfeed, an application for the iPhone and iPod Touch (that I wrote about back in July here), has recently released a very significant application update.
By definition, Footfeed is a check-in aggregator. Allowing you to check-in to location-based services Brightkite, Foursquare, and Gowalla simultaneously. Sounds like a winner so far doesn't it ?! Well add to that the capability to post your status on your Facebook wall and you've pretty much got all the major social circles covered.
This latest update, version 1.1, brings about some much needed stability to the application and some hints of future capabilities. As far as new features and enhancements, Footfeed 1.1 brings:
- Much higher resolution graphics (it's all about the retina display when you're talking iPhone 4)
- iOS 4.0 enhanced support – including fast application switching
- Added nearby Favorites
- Added checkmarks on Nearby Places screen to show you where you've checked in previously (this is actually more handy than I initially thought it would be)
- Added location category icons to Places
One thing that was inevitable, was the integration and support for iAds. I actually don't have a problem with the way the developer, Pocket Laundry, has implemented iAds – they're not obtrusive and only show up on the main check-in page.
For their next release – which I'm thinking will be even more significant, I'm hearing that there will be features like:
- Tighter integration and support for Twitter
- Improved location matching (that's a big one since you have multiple services you have to match the same location to)
- Location search
- Location tips
- Maybe even some check-in offers (sounds interesting…)
and I'm noticing more space in the Connected to section of the check-in screen (see images below). Does that mean services like Loopt and Twitter could be in the near future? Only time will tell.
Footfeed (@footfeedtweet) is a free app and you can grab it in the App Store here.