Devastation and sadness are words that only barely describe the challenges facing the people of Haiti today.
In the aftermath of the massive earthquake that hit the country a worldwide humanitarian effort has unfolded to provide assistance.
Call To Action
“This is a watershed moment. It’s historic,” said Albe Angel, founder and CEO of Give On the Go, whose company is helping Haitian-born musician Wyclef Jean raise funds for his Yele Haiti Foundation. Users of mobile devices can make an instant donation of $5 to the charity by texting “Yele” to 501501. The charge later will appear on the donor’s telephone bill.
Other Means To Assist
- American Red Cross: Donations can be made via text messages. Text the word HAITI to the number 90999 to donate $10 to relief efforts. It’ll show up on your phone bill.
- UNICEF: Donations can be made at www.unicefusa.org/haitiquake or (800) 486-4233
- Mercy Corps: Haiti Earthquake Fund, P.O. Box 2669, Portland, OR 97208, www.mercycorps.org or (888) 256-1900
- Catholic Relief Services: www.crs.org
- Doctors Without Borders: Use a debit or credit card to donate at donate.doctorswithoutborders.org
- World Vision: The worldwide Christian nonprofit has been providing humanitarian services in Haiti for decades. Donate at worldvision.org or (866) 280-6587
- The Salvation Army: The Christian nonprofit has been operating in Haiti since 1950 with schools, medical facilities and economic development programs. Donate at salvationarmyusa.org or (800) 725-2769
If you have the means, PLEASE help