You have a gigantic choice waiting for you when you head into your smartphone’s app store, with Statista forecasting that 197 billion mobile app downloads were successfully processed during 2017 alone. As Earth’s population calculates in at almost 7.7 billion people at the moment, that works out at close to 25 apps being downloaded per person across the world per year.
Due to our smartphones being limited by storage space though, there’s only so many apps that we can have on our devices at any one point. Therefore, we’ve sought out the help of Audi servicing providers Vindis to advise you on a trio of handy driving apps that you need to download onto your gadgets heading into 2019…
Improve your smartphone with either Apple CarPlay or Android Auto
Put Apple CarPlay and Android Auto alongside one another and you’ll notice the smart driving companions have similar setups and functionalities. However, the choice of which one you download will depend on the type of smartphone you have.
Is your smartphone built around the Android operating system? Then you’ll be wise to enhance your gadget with Android Auto. This smart driving companion essentially means that while you’re behind the wheel, you only need to mutter ‘OK Google’ in order to…
- Set up real-time GPS navigation and be informed about traffic alerts.
- Check your calendar for any occasions that you have scheduled.
- Set reminders.
- Get up-to-date news.
- Setting up a do not disturb message on your phone.
- Make or answer phone calls handsfree.
- Access so many of your media apps, such as those containing your favourite music playlists, audiobooks and podcasts.
Is it iOS that’s built into your smartphone instead? Then Apple CarPlay is the alternative option. Featuring Siri voice control, here’s just a few things you can do once you open the app:
- Search for attractions while driving by simply asking for directions by the following means: “Siri, where’s the closest petrol station?”.
- Have the app predict where you need to be by analysing addresses on your recent emails, text messages, contacts and calendars.
- Make calls and listen to voicemail handsfree.
- Have Siri read and reply to text messages, as well as send messages in new conversations too.
- Gain access to content via your iTunes, Apple Music or other audio apps accounts, as well as even request for Siri to become your personal DJ for the duration of a road trip.
Download the app here:
Improve your smartphone with HERE WeGo
If you a drive, there’s likely to be one situation that you’ve found yourself in at least once during your motoring life. Just as we drive into a busy city centre and have no idea about the road layout, our smartphones lose their internet connections and, as a result, the sat nav on the devices stop working. However, the HERE WeGo app should mean that you never need to go through it again.
Power up the HERE WeGo app and you’ll be presented with the opportunity to download offline maps of the UK and many other countries straight one your smartphone. Other nations covered include France, Spain, Italy, the US. This means that you can be navigated to your destination even when you haven’t got an internet connection.
Left your car at home for the day? There are still benefits to having the HERE WeGo app on your phone. This is because it’ll inform you of carsharing opportunities nearby whenever you need it and can call a local taxi too so that you never need to worry about being stranded in an unfamiliar city.
Download the app here:
Improve your smartphone with JustPark
How many times have you lost your temper because you’ve reached the end of a road trip only to find that you can’t find a single parking spot?Fortunately, help is at hand in the form of the JustPark app.
It’s an award-winning service that’s being praised at both Richard Branson’s 2015 VOOM event and the 2017 British Parking Awards. The app itself has made up a database of 1.4 million parking spaces, off-street parking options (think car parks, private spaces and even driveways) and on-street parking possibilities (that’s stretches with parking meters and free parking zones).
Don’t just feel you only need to access the JustPark app to find a parking space mind. You can also reserve a guaranteed space and pay for the spot via the app using either a card, PayPal or either Apple or Android Pay services. You’ll even be provided with easy-to-follow instructions and directions to the space once it’s reserved.
Download the app here: