Cleaning and maintaining a house can be an ongoing challenge, especially if you have a large family to contend with who seem to enjoy making an almighty mess. With this in mind, we’re going to investigate some of the ways in which you and your brood can run a household without running out of steam or money!
Instead of employing a domestic cleaner or doing everything yourself, why not clean collectively by getting the kids to help out in exchange for pocket money. Not only will this educate them on the value of money management but it will also teach them a thing or two about taking responsibility. Encouraging them to mow the lawn, do the dishes or tidy their rooms will make everyone’s lives easier and make for a spotless abode.
DIY cleaning products
The cost of sprays, polish and cleaning equipment can all add up, but there are savvy ways to save money without compromising on a pristine property. For one thing, rather than purchasing dusting cloths or sponges, make your own by simply cutting up old, disused towels. Moreover, instead of investing in store-bought bottled brands, mix up your own cleaning potions from existing household items you may already have in the cupboard. Baking soda, vinegar and borax are ideal for a variety of purposes and offer a much cheaper alternative to pricey products.
Keep on top of things by maintaining machinery
When an appliance breaks down, we’re often guilty of forking out a fortune to get it professionally repaired or buying a new one altogether. However, by regularly maintaining the things you already own, you can extend their life and save time and money in the long run. Some of the ways you can do this include:
- Routinely cleaning the vents and filters of all your dryers, air conditioners and heaters. A clogged vent can wreak havoc and lead to an early breakdown that can be expensive to remedy. Cleaning the vents only takes a matter of minutes but can save you long-term hassle. The same applies to refrigerator coils; a dirty coil can cause the generator to work much harder than it needs to, which can lead to a multitude of problems. Simply sweep out any dirt and debris that has accumulated every few months.
- In the case of complex machinery, it’s always sensible to seek expert advice rather than tackling it yourself, which could be potentially hazardous. For things such as boiler servicing and air conditioning maintenance, a good tip is to opt for local companies. Any problems with your garage door can be referred to your professional garage repair specialists.
Go easy on electricity
Washing machines, tumble dryers and dishwashers can cost an arm and a leg to run so it’s advisable to only use them when absolutely necessary. You can save a substantial amount of money by simply air drying your dishes and hanging clothes up on an outside line, or if the weather is not so great, on a clothes horse inside the house.
By taking these straightforward steps, your home will be your haven and you can put your hard-earned money towards other things.
Image | Source
- It’s Time to Jump into Spring Cleaning (consumerreports.org)
- Simple Tips to Save Money This Summer While Enjoying The Comfort of Your Air Conditioner (pcrichard.com)
- Spring Home Maintenance for Pet Owners (glamamom.com)