If you are someone over 50 and dating again for the first time in quite some time, you might think it is nearly impossible to compete with the younger crowd, especially on any given online dating website. Luckily, there are numerous over 50 dating sites available that cater to the mature seniors who find themselves single for one reason or another.
In this article, we want to help you find love as someone over 50 who is dating again for the first time in a while. We understand that it can feel like a huge obstacle, but it doesn’t have to be. Here are some of our favorite tips on finding love again after 50.
- Keep a journal of the things you want in a relationship and in a partner. This journal could be of your long term relationship goals and even your short term. You can look back on these entries periodically and reevaluate the importance of the items listed and revise it accordingly.
- You should treat this experience of over 50 dating as a new commitment. You don’t want to go into the endeavor half-hearted because you’ll only get half-hearted results.
- Stop trying to find excuses as to why you cannot go out there and date. Don’t simply talk about dating again, go out there and actually try doing it.
- Understand that your success with dating could be limited by the expectations that you have regarding the opposite sex. These expectations could be the very thing that is preventing you from finding that love that you are hoping to find.
- Recognize that there is a stark contrast between the pictures Hollywood likes to paint about over 50 dating and the reality of it—Hollywood’s version is grossly romanticized and rarely (if ever) works out that way.
- Don’t assume what you see online is what you’re getting in reality. The truth of the matter is people are prone to exaggerating things online because they know the competition is fierce. Just keep in mind that no one is perfect and we all have our flaws, no matter how big or small they are.
- Understand what your deal breakers are and only eliminate the people who obviously have these red flags. You don’t want to waste your time on someone who is a smoker and that is a deal breaker for you, but you also don’t want to pass someone by simply because you think they are cat lovers and you prefer dogs.
- Step outside of your comfort zone and date someone who may not be your type. You may be pleasantly surprised by the connection you may form with someone once you give them a chance.
- Always put your best foot forward when you are dating. How else do you expect someone to fall in love with you if you aren’t giving them a reason to?
- Stop believing that there is someone better out there for you. When you are of a certain age, you might feel like you have all the time in the world to pick and choose the perfect mate, but as someone over 50, dating and finding someone who fits your exact ideal mate isn’t going to be as easy as you’d like. By keeping an open mind and appreciating someone that you’re dating now, you could be pleasantly surprised by the experience and the connection you’ve formed.
- Don’t get too attached to the “idea” of your perfect mate. Sometimes the person you fall for is completely different than the person you think you should be with.
- You shouldn’t be too willing to share too much about yourself on the first date. By being too transparent on the first date, you think you are forming a bond with that other person, but in truth you could be putting too much information out there, thus overwhelming them and maybe scaring them off with your intensity.
- Understand that not everyone is going to fall head over heels in love with you upon first meeting. Yes, we understand that you are an awesome person that people would be lucky to date, but the truth is, there are countless different personalities on any given over 50 dating websites and they all aren’t going to mesh well. Once you understand this, you won’t take rejection quite so personally.
Image | Source