When it comes to beauty, there’s nothing quite like a spotless, flawless complexion. Unfortunately, too many of us have spent years in the sun without adequate sun protection with the end result being sun spots, also referred to as solar lentigines. Sun spots on the skin can present as brown splotches or uneven pigment. Sun spots, which are commonly referred to as liver spots or age spots, are a direct result of not enough SPF on your skin. It’s impossible to go back in time and wear your sunscreen, but what is possible is to correct the damage done and to prevent future damage from occurring. Here, are the top five skin treatments and procedures for sun spot removal:
1) Apply Topical Antioxidants: We all know how beneficial food with antioxidants are, but did you know that skincare with antioxidants are just as good for your skin? Your daily skincare regimen should start with an antioxidant serum, to be applied after cleansing and before moisturizer and sunscreen. Look for ingredients such as vitamin C, vitamin E and green tea, Antioxidants actually make your sunscreen more effective. Skinceuticals CE Ferulic and Phloretin CF are two best-selling, extremely effective antioxidant serums on the market. Those products don’t wash off, so if you’re going swimming, they’re a great way to protect your skin from sun spots even if your SPF wears off.
2) Wear Sunscreen: This may seem like a no-brainer, but SPF is actually the best preventative beauty treatment around, especially when it comes to sun spot removal. Sunscreen may not rid of your existing sun spots, but it will certainly prevent any future sun damage from occurring. Always make sure to apply a broad-spectrum SPF of 30 every day, regardless if it’s cloudy or sunny.
3) Laser Therapy for Sun Spot Removal: Two of the most effective lasers for sun spot removal are the Fraxel Laser and the Alexandrite Laser. Fraxel is a non-invasive treatment that only targets a fraction of your skin at a time, leaving the rest untreated. It speeds up collagen renewal and reduces the appearance of sun spots. The Alexandrite Laser targets the melanin in the skin and helps dissolve and remove sun spots.
4) Photofacial or Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) for Sun Spot Removal: Photofacials are an effect weapon in sun spot removal. The way they work is the photo-thermal energy will eliminate the melanin causing the dreaded sun spots. Photorejuvenation treatments are typically done in a series of three to five sessions, with a three to six week break in between.
5) Skin Lightening Creams for Sun Spot Removal: The gold standard topical ingredient used for sun spot removal is 4% hydroquinone. If you want your skin to be lighter, brighter and more even toned, hydroquinone is extremely effective. It is recommended to alternate hydroquinone with a non-hydroquinone skin lightening treatment, for safety and sensitivity reasons. A great and effective alternative to hydroquinone is Elure Advanced Lightening lotion, which contains a patented ingredient called Melanonzyme. Clinical studies have shown that Elure brightens and lightens sun spot as well as 4% hydroquinone.
NYC Derm Your Skin Solution