OUYA, now available for pre-order, takes direct aim at the closed source, overly expensive console market and aims to
make an affordable Android based open solution for the masses.
The Kickstarter Campaign launched July 10, 2012 with a somewhat lofty goal of $950,00 – The project closed August 9, 2012 after raising $8,596,475. That’s about 905% (yes ninehundred and five percent) of goal – Can you say “Far Exceeded”?
The cool part is not how much money they raised but the open nature of the project, the encouragement to develop and to be creative. The desire to make it available to as many as possible makes it a very cool project.
See below for the details from Kickstarter. Note that the design team is the same one behind the JAMBOX (that we just reviewed yesterday).
- Tegra3 quad-core processor
- 1GB RAM
- 8GB of internal flash storage
- HDMI connection to the TV, with support for up to 1080p HD
- WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
- Bluetooth LE 4.0
- USB 2.0 (one)
- Wireless controller with standard controls (two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button), a touchpad
- Android 4.0
- ETHERNET! (Announced by Muffi 7/18)
OUYA also has its own website – Here – where you can pre-order for projected delivery in April 2013.
This could be a “game” changer so stay tuned to OUYA.