That’s how Apple is pitching their very own Podcasts app, which was released today in the App Store.
The list of features reads as follows:
- Enjoy all of your audio and video podcasts in a single app
- Explore hundreds of thousands of podcasts including shows in over 40 languages
- Try the innovative new Top Stations feature to find new podcast series in a variety of topics, including arts, business, comedy, music, news, sports, and more.
- Browse by Audio or Video podcasts, or see what’s most popular in Top Charts
- Tap subscribe for your favorites and automatically receive new episodes for free as they become available
- Stream episodes or download to listen while offline
- Skip forward and back using simple playback controls
- Turn on Sleep Timer to automatically stop playing a podcast while listening in bed
- Share your favorite episodes with friends using Twitter, Messages and Mail
- Optionally sync your favorite episodes from iTunes on your Mac or PC
- Sync your episode playback for seamless transition between devices
I wonder if this will replace many of the standalone podcast streaming apps currently in the App Store? No one can match the integration with other Apple hardware and software better than the folks in Cupertino that built it.
We’ll just have to wait and see when iOS 6 is released to the general public.
And yes, this is a Universal app – so the screen real estate on the iPad taken advantage of (see the screenshot below):