Thank goodness for TiVo, DVR, Hulu, Netflix, etc… because commercials stand in the way of satisfying my instantaneous entertainment needs. There is nothing worse than…
Dun, dun, dun… Susie walks in the door, completely oblivious to the menacing shadow around the corner… As she moved closer to the kitchen, the shadow grew larger—
Satisfy your midnight hunger with the new Southwest chipotle burger. Now available at 3 am!
No! I am more interested in Susie’s fate than finding out that burgers are now available at 3am.
I’m not denying that there are commercials that I enjoy watching; commercials that are more entertaining than the TV show itself. Common favorites include the Old Spice guy (Look at your man, now back to me, back at your man, now back at me) Betty White’s Superbowl Snickers commercial, and Volkswagen Passat’s Superbowl The Force commercial featuring mini Darth Vader. They all invoke relatable humor and most importantly, positive, if not, fond brand association.
Those are the exact reasons that made me fall in love with Google’s commercials. Below are my top five favorites in order of awesomeness. Sometimes we don’t realize how much Internet has infiltrated and influenced our lives. The genius of Google reminds us how we need the Internet and why we love Google.
1. Angry Birds Google Chrome (“Are you angry, Peter?”). I love this one for obvious reasons… it’s ANGRY birds! It’s the birdify version of the game’s creators with a not-so-subtle tribute to their hatred of pigs.
2. Parisian Love (Search On). How can I not love this one? I’m a sap for romance and this simple, inexpensively made commercial takes the viewers on a journey of love with the ultimate storybook ending.
3. Justin Bieber (Musicians theme). Yes, you read correctly. Justin. Bieber. My endorsement of this commercial is by no means a declaration of my conversion into a “Belieber.” It is a tribute to how Google intricately and meticulously demonstrated how the Internet can change a person’s life through mass following.
4. Dear Sophie. Another sappy one (are you sensing a pattern yet?) Even though I prefer to trust a hardcopy version of a scrapbook, it still doesn’t take away from how cute this commercial is.
5. Lady Gaga (Google Chrome). I’m not a huge fan of Lady Gaga, but I love her character. She has developed an ingenious character with such influential messaging, it’s hard to not be fascinated by her. It’s the least relatable commercial on this list, but it’s consistent with the “Google will change your life” message.