For me, it’s not Facebook, Twitter, or even a web browser. In my case it’s email. I can go a day without the web but an hour without checking email would be brutal.
For that reason I make the conscious decision many months ago to switch from the default Mail application included with Mac OS X and stepped up to Postbox.
The key points that have me sold on Postbox are:
- Cross-platform (Windows and Mac OS X)
- Desktop application (offline email management is huge for me, remember as I state above, I can deal without hitting the web, plus there are times during my travels that mobile and web-based connections just don’t cut it).
- IMAP suport (critical)
Today, the Postbox team is releasing a significant update to their email management system – version 2.5 comes just three months after an already significant update was made available to us back in March.
2.5 includes these major highlights:
- Fast 64-bit Support for Mac OS X – On the Mac, Postbox 2.5 is now running in 64-bit mode, which translates to faster startup, snappier interface elements, and quicker message loading. Our Windows version is faster too, but it currently runs in 32-bit mode.
- Vertical Thread Pane View – Postbox now supports a double-row Vertical Thread Pane View, which makes more efficient use of widescreen displays. (This is HUGE !!!)
- Streamlined Message View – We’ve re-designed the Message View make messages and conversations load faster, with minimal movement and jitter as you page from message to message.
- Improved Interface + New Mac Theme – The Postbox interface is simpler and more intuitive, plus there is a fresh new theme for the Mac designed by Benjamin De Cock, and a new icon set by Kenichi Yoshida, who does a lot of work for Panic.
Included with those improvements, there are a number of additions that are just “nice to have”
- Replaced the Status Bar with an inline notification pop-up panel
- Simplified “Insert Link” dialog in message compose
- Added support for playing a sound on send. Go to Preferences | Compose | Advanced to enable sound on send. (Again, nice to have…)
Go get yourself some Postbox 2.5 goodness today. For new customers, the download and purchase link is right on the Postbox website here. For existing clients, simply click on the “Check for Updates” button in the Help drop-down menu.