WWDC Stevenote Recap
Everyone and their mother is writing about today’s Stevenote – we here at THE Tech Scoop will take the relevant data and aggregate and consolidate it for you – essentially we’re you’re one stop shop.
Here are the key points Steve talked about during his opening keynote (in announced order):
- Phenomenal adoption of the iPad since it’s release – over 2 million already sold (essentially 1 sold every 3 seconds)
- iPad available in 10 countries today and will be in 19 countries by end of July
- iBooks updated to allow inline viewing of PDFs
- Over 100 new features in iPhone 4 – Steve talks about top 8
- Yes, the prototype we saw plastered all over the web, was in fact the next iPhone, but per Steve, there is much more than meets the eye now that it’s in production
- Glass on front and rea with stainless steel along the sides
- 9.3mm thick (that’s 24% thinner than the current iPhone)
- Front-facing camera | micro sim tray | camera with LED flash on the back (that’s right folks 2 cameras), why you ask??? Keep reading
- Microphone on bottom AND microphone on top for noise cancellation
- Retina Display: new display technology that dramatically increases pixel density. 326 ppi (even though 300ppi is the limit of the human retina) – Amazing quality
- 3.5″ display with 960×640 resolution – WOW !!
- Powered by the Apple designed A4 chip
- 7 hours of talk time | 6 hours of 3G browsing | 10 hours of WiFi browsing | 10 hours of video | 40 hours of music | 300 hours of standby
- 802.11n wireless – crazy fast stuff for a phone !!
- Bing will be included as a internet search option (however Google remains the default selection)
- Integrated gyroscope: gyroscope + accelerometer = 6 axis motion sensing – this will be huge for games and mapping-type applications
- 5 megapixel camera
- 5x digital zoom in camera app and tap to focus with LED flash
- HD video recording: 720p at 30fps
- built-in video editing | one-click sharing | LED flash can stay on during video recording (that could be a battery drain however)
- Record, edit and share HD movies right from the iPhone using the new iMove for iPhone app (videos can be exported at 360p, 520p, and 720p)
- Integrated video-conferencing: Called FaceTime | WiFi connectivity only this year | only iPhone 4 to iPhone 4
- FaceTime is based on open standards (this IS significant) – h.264, AAC, SIP, STUN, TURN, ICE, RTP, SRTP
- The new version of the iPhone OS is being officially called iOS4 – the gold build has been pushed to developers today
Availability – soon !! On sale June 24th. Pre-orders start June 14th
iPhone 4 features video
Black and white models. $199 for 16GB and $299 for 32GB.
Direct quote from Steve regarding AT&T, “…I’m thrilled to announce AT&T is going to make an incredibly generous upgrade offer. If your contract expires any time in 2010, you are immediately eligible for a new iPhone 4 at the same 199 or 299 prices if you top up your contract 2 years.”
Obviously, we’ll have more throughout the day as more information is provided.
Also, I’ll make the educated assumption that the majority of you will, in fact, get this new iPhone. So the poll here is will it be the black one or the white one? 16GB or 32GB?