I’ve got a few buddies that can do this. Everytime I try I fail miserably. I’m glad WikiHow has put together a step-by-step guide to the finer things in life like this.
There are a wide variety of ways to open a bottle without a bottle opener. You can use a folded dollar bill, a lighter, or a whole bunch of other things, but using the ring on your finger is the closest it gets to making it look like you’re using your bare hands. If you wear a class ring or a heavier ring, here’s how to put it to use. Opening a bottle with a ring is efficient, quick, and impressive.
- Grab your beverage firmly around the neck. Do this with the hand that does not contain the ring.
- Hold the bottle close to your body, but so that the opening faces slightly away from you. You do not have to hug the bottle, but hold it the same comfortable distance you would when using a normal bottle opener.
- As you tightly hold the bottle, bring the opposite hand towards the cap at an angle (from below cap level coming to it at 45º).
- Make contact with the bottom of the cap and the underside of your ring. Use the part of the ring closest to your fingertip.
- Apply an intense amount of pressure to ensure a solid connection with the ring and the cap. They should feel like one unit. This is achieved through pressure. Use the forefinger to give stability to the ring and cap, giving it a firm hold.
- Grip the rest of your hand tightly around the cap and apply enough force for the cap to come loose. This can be accomplished by locking the wrist, allowing the forearm to be used as a lever device. Roll your hand over the top of the bottle by lifting your elbow while maintaining a straight hand, wrist and arm combination for better use of leverage.
- Throw the cap the into a proper disposal area and enjoy your tasty beverage!
- Avoid using delicately-made rings or rings made of gold, silver or platinum (or any other soft metal) in this manner. Thinner bands (regardless of metal) may be damaged by the force needed. Softer metals will bend and scratch easily.
- Beware of performing this action too many times in repetition, as injury from the resistant force at the top of the finger may occur.
- How to Open a Beer Bottle With a Dollar Bill
- How to Open a Beer Bottle With a Lighter
- How to Open a Bottle Without a Bottle Opener
- How to Open a Wine Bottle Without a Corkscrew
- How to Open a Champagne Bottle with a Sword
Article provided by wikiHow, a collaborative writing project to build the world’s largest, highest quality how-to manual. Please edit this article and find author credits at the original wikiHow article on How to Open a Bottle With a Ring. All content on wikiHow can be shared under a Creative Commons license.